Puppy's First Bath
Bath time can create a lot of anxiety for you and your puppy. It can turn into a big wet mess if not done properly! Follow these steps and tips so that you and your puppy can enjoy bath time more!
- Get your puppy used to the water. Run the water without getting your puppy wet. Maybe you're bathing your puppy in your bath or in a sink, wherever it will be turn it on and let your puppy check it out. Give your puppy treats every time she tastes the water or if she is really scared then every time she looks at the water source. Try to get her as close to it as possible. Do this for a day or two or more until she seems really comfortable with it.
- Gently cajole your puppy into the water, make sure the water is a nice warm temperature. Don't let it be hot or cold, you want your puppy to be comfortable, room temperature is best. And don't fill it too high, about 3 inches of water is all you'll need.
- Put a dollop of peanut butter or another favorite treat on the side of the tub for your puppy to lick. This is a great thing to keep your puppy busy and let her associate a great treat with the tub.
- Bathe her as quickly as possible. This handheld dog bather is what you need to get the job done quickly and thoroughly. Keep it short and sweet. Praise her a lot and remain calm yourself so that she can be calm too. Make sure she is completely wet before adding the shampoo. This requires quite a bit of water and is sometimes easier to do this in areas, starting with her back first, then moving to her paws and last her head. Shampoo and rinse thoroughly. You'll also want to use a conditioner since the Maltipoo coat can be very tangled.
- Once she is out of the tub, towel her off as much as you can while praising her and giving her more treats.
- Brush through her coat. You can also use a hair dryer on a low heat setting to help her hair dry a bit quicker as well. Especially if you live in a wet climate, you'll need to help her hair dry as you don't want her to remain wet or cold for longer than several hours.
- Please visit our grooming page for a full explanation of the recommended grooming routine.